Prep time: 30 minutes
Rise time: 2 hours, 10 minutes total
Cook time: 40 minutes
- Place butter in a small saucepan over low heat.
- Add milk and remove from heat; let cool to lukewarm.
- Place in the bowl of an electric mixer and sprinkle 1 tablespoon sugar and yeast over the top. Let stand for 5 minutes or until yeast begins to bubble.
- Beat in egg, then add remaining sugar, 3 cups flour, salt and zest.
- Mix well, then add enough additional flour to make a soft dough.
- Knead with a dough hook for 5 minutes, then transfer to a lightly floured board. Knead by hand until dough is smooth and elastic.
- Place in a buttered bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise for 1 1/2 hours or until doubled in size. Punch dough down, then transfer to a lightly floured board.
- Knead in 1/2 cup fruit and shape into a smooth ball.
- Roll into a 13 X 9-inch rectangle and sprinkle with remaining
- Roll almond paste or marzipan into a log about 12-inches long. Flatten into a rectangle and place on one side of the dough. Fold over the other side, leaving a small gap at the end. Reaching under the top half of the dough, pinch the top and bottom parts of the dough together to seal. Pinch the ends together and fold under to seal.
- Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet and cover with plastic. Let rise for 40 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Bake bread for 40 minutes or until it sounds hollow when gently tapped.
- Let cool slightly, then brush with butter. Dust heavily with powder sugar and let cool completely.