For the Chocolate-Prune Cake:
1 cup Mariani Pitted Prunes
1/2 cup boiling water
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 1/2 cups flour
2/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup vegetable oil
1 tablespoon white vinegar
For the Glaze:
1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons water
1/2 teaspoon orange oil
This chocolate cake recipe omits some fat and sugar without compromising on taste. The prunes add moisture and sweetness to the cake without adding a pronounced flavor and the orange oil adds a bit of oomph to the icing.
For the Cake:
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Line an 8-inch square pan with parchment paper and spray it with oil.
3. In a food processor or by hand, finely chop prunes. Then pour boiling water over them, mix and let stand to cool slightly.
4. Melt chocolate chips in microwave and let cool slightly. In a large bowl mix together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
5. Add oil, melted chocolate, cooled prune and water mixture, vanilla and mix until flour disappear. Add vinegar and mix in. Do not over mix! Batter will be thick.
6. Spread the batter into prepared pan and bake for 30-35 minutes. Edges will be cooked through but center will be a bit soft. Take the cake out and let it cool. Meanwhile make the glaze.
For the Glaze:
1. Melt chocolate in the microwave. In a separate bowl, mix together powdered sugar and water.
2. Add melted chocolate into icing mixture and mix until smooth. Add the orange oil and mix.
3. Pour the glaze over the cooled cake and spread.
Recipe by Julia