1 cup whole wheat flour
½ cup all-purpose flour
¼ cup ground flaxseed/flaxseed meal
1 cup regular oats
½ cup packed dark brown sugar
¾ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ tsp nutmeg
½ cup walnuts, roughly chopped
½ cup Mariani Raisins
½ cup Mariani Dried Apples, roughly chopped
1 cup low-fat buttermilk
1 whole egg, lightly beaten
1 whole ripe banana, peeled & mashed with a fork
½ cup applesauce
¼ cup molasses
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Thoroughly spray a 12-count muffin pan with cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, combine flours, flaxseed meal, oats, brown sugar, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, walnuts, raisins and chopped apples. Stir together until combined.
3. In a separate bowl, mix together the buttermilk, egg, banana, applesauce and molasses.
4. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, stirring gently until it just barely comes together. Batter should be wet and sticky.
5. Scoop 1/4 cup helpings into the muffin cups and bake for 16-18 minutes, or until deep golden brown.
6. Let the muffins cool in the pan for two minutes, then carefully remove to a wire rack. Loosen the edges with a fork if needed.